Eight Years Later: Student Life Resumes in the U.S.

Suresh Dasari, Ph.D. student

This the first time I am attending a U.S. university and I must say that I’ve had a wonderful experience so far. The School of Business Ph.D. program team has been very helpful by providing seamless support in facilitating the admission process, visa related work and post-arrival orientation.  The welcome reception was a great opportunity to interact with faculty, current doctoral students and new arrivals. The entire environment created a smooth transition, which was appreciated since I am returning to student life after a gap of eight years. The senior students in the Operations and Information Management (OPIM) department provided valuable input on course work, campus life and life in the U.S. Thanks to all of them because my social life has been great. Last month I went on a road trip to Newport, Rhode Island and last weekend I attended a meditation session in Providence, Rhode Island.

My student life started very well. I love the flexibility to choose courses from different academic departments in the university and the intellectual freedom to pursue research of my interests. For example, I am taking classes from the Statistics and Econometrics departments this semester and plan to take a few classes from the Computer Science department next semester.  The faculty in UConn’s OPIM department are some of the most productive researchers in academia today. The greatest strength of this department is the research diversity of the faculty.  The faculty members are very approachable. My first-year guide, Professor Ramesh Shankar, has been an incredible mentor. I am learning nuances of conducting academic research under his supervision while working on a research project. The school level courses, such as the Business Administration Introduction to Teaching and Research course and the OPIM Seminar, provide exposure to good practices in research, existing literature and guidance in working on an independent research project. I recently received funding to attend two conferences in the first semester of my Ph.D. program (the INFORMS Conference in Nashville, Tennessee and the Conference on Digital Experimentation at MIT in Boston, Massachusetts).  I am sure this training will help me in becoming a world-class researcher and will prepare me for a fruitful career in academia.

sdasari-footer

Suresh Dasari
Ph.D. student, OPIM Department, UConn School of Business
Suresh Dasari is a first year Ph.D. student in the Operations and Information Management (OPIM) Department. Prior to joining the UConn School of Business in fall 2016, he was a research associate at the Indian School of Business in Hyderabad. Suresh has a B.Tech (Electronics & Communication Engineering) from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Hyderabad and an MBA from the Indian Institute of Technology Madras.